Evidence: Israel reborn as a nation & Mid-East conflict
Israel would be re-established as a nation. This event is one of the most important end times prophecies and will start a chain of apocalyptic events that will culminate with the return of Jesus Christ.
“I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land.” (Ezekiel 34:13)
“For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land.” (Ezekiel 36:2)
“I, the Sovereign Lord, will gather you back from the nations where you have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel once again.” (Eze.11:17)
- (Also see: Jer.31:10,32:34-41, Neh.1:9, Psa.107:3, Isa.43:5, Eze. 37:21, Mic.2:12)
Israel was obliterated by the Roman general Titus in A.D. 70. Jerusalem was destroyed and the Jewish people were scattered around the world.
No other nation in history has been destroyed only to re-emerge 2000 years later.
- On May 14, 1948, Israel declared independence and once again became a nation.
- For centuries, scholars struggled with the fact that that the end times refers to Israel existing. The books of Daniel, Ezekiel, and Revelation all describe apocalyptic events that reference Israel as a nation.
- The rebirth of Israel prompts tremendous unrest in the Middle East. The Bible stats that this unrest will eventually threaten world security and set the stage for the antichrist (Dan 9:27) to assume power through a platform of peace (Dan 8:25) leading to the eventual return of Jesus Christ (Rev 19: 11 – 21).
For those who think this event is just mere coincidence, Israel’s neighbors have attempted to destroy them countless times. Each time, against superior odds, Israel has prevailed as God stood by his promises.
- A day after declaring independence on May 15, 1948, the Arab armies of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Lebanon attacked Israel. Though vastly outnumbered, Israel held their ground and conquered an additional 2500 miles of territory. (Source: Anti-Defamation League)
- In 1967, the armies of Egypt, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon mobilized over 260,000 troops against Israel. When the dust settled, Israel had prevailed and taken Jerusalem, Sinai, and the Golan Heights in only 6 days. (Source: CAMERA)
- Further wars in 1973 and 1982 have threatened Israel’s existence. In the 21st century, terrorist-run organizations, and Arab states have threatened to “wipe Israel off the map“. Yet in spite of this, Israel remains a nation.
Since Israel was reborn as a nation in 1948, the end times signs that Jesus spoke about have all increased:
1) “Great earthquakes in various places” (Matt 24:7) have increased. 6 of the 10 biggest earthquakes in history have taken place since Israel became a nation. (Source: Most of World)
2) “Wars & rumors of wars” (Luke 21:10) are the headline of our day. The Cold War lasted through much of the remainder of the 20th century. Al Qaeda and the ensuing “War on Terror” has chronicled the persistent threat of Islamic terrorists to the world since the mid 1990s. There are currently 41 conflicts worldwide contributing to military & civilian casualties in the 21st century. (Source: Global Security)
4) False Christ & False prophets (Matt 24:11) have appeared in our society. David Koresh, Martin Applewhite, and Jim Jones were among some of the more famous who all claimed to be God and led their followers to their deaths.
5) There has been a tremendous “increase in knowledge and travel” (Dan 12:4). Computing, the Internet, cellular technology, nuclear power, and countless other innovations have come into being since 1948.
One more interesting fact about Israel and the end times. . .
- Israel throughout the Bible is often referred to symbolically as “the fig tree”. “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: The good figs represent the exiles I sent from Judah to the land of the Babylonians.” (Jer 24:5) See also Hosea 9:10 with relation to Israel referred to as a “fig tree”.
- When asked about when His return would be, Jesus answered by providing several signs and using an illustration about “a fig tree” coming back to life:
“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it [my return] is near, right at the door…this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.” (Matt 24:32 – 34)
Israel becoming a nation is considered a key fulfillment of end times Bible prophecy. No other nation in history has come back into existence after 2000 years. Since 1948, Israel has been attacked & threatened by overwhelming opposition. The world will continue to look to Israel and the Middle East with concern as the Bible says that the continued unrest will play a vital role in apocalyptic events foretold in the book of Daniel, Ezekiel, and Revelation. While the evidence that Israel is a nation is plain to see, the significance of this event in light of the end times is tremendous.